CBD Milligram Strength: Not Everything Product-Wise is Identical
Entering the CBD world for the first time can be extremely exciting, but it can also be kind of overwhelming. The market is so popular at the moment that it’s full of a wide range of products, ranging in application methods, formulas and concentrations of CBD. This means that someone has to know exactly what to look for when choosing the right CBD product for their needs if they want to get the results that they desire. And, easily, one of the most important things to take into consideration is the milligram strength, as this directly determines how much CBD you’ll be taking in per dose.
To make matters more confusing, different CBD products tend to have unique milligram strengths. For instance, CBD vape oils can have as little as 2 milligrams of CBD per puff, while tinctures can give you a whopping 33mg per dose. How can that be?
Well, today, we’ll be explaining what all of this means. As you’ll see, the type of CBD product that you go with has a lot to do with how that milligram strength will affect you.
Different CBD Products That Can Vary in Terms of Milligram Strength
There are a lot of CBD products on the market today, but the four most popular ones are tinctures, vape juices, topicals and edibles. As you may have noticed, each one seems to have its own general range of milligram strengths that are available. Before we explain why that’s the case, we’ll need to get into what each product is and how it interacts with your body.
- Tinctures: Considered an oral product, though they’re not actually ingested. A tincture is any type of solution that is poured under the tongue and held there for a period of time. This allows the compounds in the formula to absorb into the sublingual tissue, which is the area beneath the tongue. This allows the compounds to become activated more quickly than they would if you ingested the product.
- Vape Juices: CBD e-liquids, also known as vape oils or vape juices, are e-liquids that contain hemp extract. They’re inhaled into the lungs, which allows the CBD to activate very quickly, although it only stays active for a fairly short period of time. CBD vape juices can come in bottles or can be pre-filled into cartridges that attach to a vaping device.
- Topicals: Products that are absorbed into the skin. They can be creams, salves, gels, lotions or anything else that is massaged directly onto the skin’s surface. CBD topicals are popular because CBD is very efficient when it comes to getting into the muscle tissue beneath the skin in a short period of time.
- Edibles: CBD-infused and ingested. The CBD must work through the digestive system before being activated in the body. This can take up to a couple of hours, but the CBD tends to say active for several hours at a time.
Can the Same Milligram Strength Feel the Same Regardless Product Type I Use?
We explained how each type of popular CBD product is consumed. You can see that each method allows the CBD to absorb in a unique way, and at a unique rate. This explains why vaping a milligram of CBD is not the same as digesting it. One milligram of CBD vaped will feel much more potent than a milligram that’s ingested, because of the way in which CBD is absorbed through the lung tissue compared to the way in which it is absorbed after working through the digestive system.
This is why you should only pay attention to the milligram strength of a product after choosing which type of product you wish to consume. In other words, rather than deciding you wish to consume 50 milligrams of CBD each day, you should first consider whether you wish to consume CBD in the form of an edible, tincture, vape oil, topical or something else entirely. Then, you can choose the milligram strength.
Average Range of Milligram Strengths for Different Popular CBD Products
Now that we’ve explained how different amounts of CBD absorb in the body in different ways depending on the type of method you use, let’s talk about the average range of milligram strengths per product.
- Vape Oils: CBD vape oils tend to contain anywhere from 1 to 5 milligrams per puff, which can be very potent considering how quickly and powerfully CBD absorbs into the body when inhaled into the lungs.
- Tinctures: CBD tinctures typically come in 30ml bottles that contain between 500 to 1500 milligrams per bottle. However, some tinctures contain less while others contain more. A 1000mg bottle will give you 33mg per dose, which is considered standard for this method of application.
- Edibles: CBD edibles can contain anywhere from 2 to 25mg per dose.
- Topicals: CBD topicals can range greatly in terms of milligram strength, because they are not consumed internally.
Choosing Your Ideal Milligram Strength
So, how do you know which milligram strength is right for you? Well, like we said, you first need to determine which type of product you want to take. Then, you have to ask yourself what it is that you want to accomplish with CBD. If you’re taking CBD for a very specific purpose, you may want to go with a higher milligram strength than average. Also, if you have a higher body weight, more milligrams may be beneficial.
Also, bear in mind that it’s recommended to start with a lower milligram strength at first, as this allows you to get used to how hemp affects you. So, for instance, if you were to go with a tincture, we’d suggest starting with a 500mg option as that’s considered a relatively low strength. You can always increase the strength as time goes on or increase your dosage amount.
Other Things to Consider
These two factors also can play a role.
- Type of Extract: Also, bear in mind that whether your CBD product contains broad spectrum, full spectrum or CBD isolate can determine how it feels after consumption.
- The Strain: Another factor that can determine how the strength affects you is the unique strain of hemp used in the formula.
Same, Yes. Different, Yes. Confusing, Not Really.
As you can see, identical milligram strengths can produce different effects and levels of effectiveness depending on the type of product you’re using. What’s most important is that you do your research and determine which strength is best suited for your needs depending on whether you’re consuming a CBD tincture, vape oil, edible or using a topical. This way, you can customize that CBD experience according to your unique needs.